- 2 large portabello mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1 large clove of garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp. sliced black olives
- 1 tbsp. dry white wine
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil
- Pinch of salt
- 4 thick slices of crusty bread
- 4 tbsp. grated mozzarella cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Sauté mushrooms, onions and garlic in oil on med hi heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, olives, wine, basil and salt. Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Lay bread slices on cookie sheet, top 2 slices with mushroom mixture.
- Top all 4 slices with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Put under the broiler for 2 minutes or until brown.
- Make into 2 sandwiches, using slices with cheese only as top pieces.
Notes: This is a great, hearty vegetarian entrée as mushrooms are a good source of protein. Also, a good lo fat recipe.
Credit: Camille Van Sant