- 1 cup of cooked beans (or browned chopped beef)
- ¼ c. water or veggie broth
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch of cumin
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 med flour tortillas
- oil to fry (1/2 inch in bottom of skillet)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican mix cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 green onions
- 1 tomato
- Salsa & sour cream for toppings
- In a saucepan, mix beans, spices & onion & cook on med. for 20 min., stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ inch oil in skillet.
- Dip edge of tortilla into oil to check for good sizzle. Then slowly slip tortilla into oil. It does not have to be immersed in oil. Fry one side till brown then flip carefully and fry other side till brown. Fry 1 tortilla at a time.
- Remove to paper towels to drain. Keep warm.
- Place one tortilla on a plate. 6. Spread ½ cup beans onto each tortilla. You can mash the beans up if you like first. 7. Then layer on the rest of the ingredients in this order, cheese (press into beans to melt a little), lettuce, green onions, tomato, sour cream dollops and salsa to taste.
Credit: Cam Van Sant