- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 chopped small onion or shallot
- 2 tbsp Sweet Vermouth
- 2 cups roasted squash, such as Hubbard or Butternut
- 1 ½ cup veggie broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 large sweet apple, peeled, cored and chopped small
- 1 /2 potato, chopped small
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme, chopped or ½ tsp dried
- 2 sage leaves sliced or a pinch dried & ground
- 1 tsp. salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup half N half
- sour cream
- ¾ c sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Poke slits in the squash to the center for vents. Roast squash whole in roasting pan filled with 1 inch apple cider or water in oven on 350 deg. For 30 -40 min. depending on size. Knife should insert easily.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly, then cut in half to cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out seeds and strings from center, peel and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat & sauté onion till soft.
- Deglaze with Vermouth.
- Add broth and next 7 ingredients. 7. Bring to a boil, cover & reduce heat to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat. In batches, puree the soup in blender or food processor.
- Return to heat and bring back just to boiling.
- Remove from heat and add half N half and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese and dollop of sour cream.
Credit: Camille Van Sant