- 2 tbsp. veggie oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 gal. water
- sachet d’epices (3 parsley stems, 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf, 3 whole cloves, 1/2 tsp cracked pepper)
- Mix oil with all veggies, garlic and salt in large roasting pan.
- Roast in oven on 400 deg. for 30 min., turning to roast evenly.
- Remove from oven and transfer veggies to large stock pot.
- Add water and sachet d’ epices.
- Simmer on med. heat 30-40 min. Skim off foam when necessary.
- Remove from heat and strain thru sieve.
**Tip: You may add a dried or fresh hot pepper to add some heat for specific dishes or soups.
Credit: Camille Van Sant