- 2-3 lbs. fish bones or shrimp or crab shells and fish trimmings
- 1/2 gal water
- 1 cup dry white wine ( if desired)
- 1 tsp salt
- mirepoix consisting of 1 carrot, diced and 1/2 onion, diced and 1 stalk celery, diced
- sachet d’epices (3 parsley stems, 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp. cracked pepper)
- Rinse all fish bones, peels and trimmings.
- Place all ingredients except sachet d’ epices in large stockpot.
- Place on med heat and simmer 30 min.
- Add sachet d’ epices and simmer 20 min. more.
- Remove from heat and strain thru a sieve or colander lined with coffee filter.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for later use.
Credit: Camille Van Sant