- 2 lbs meaty chicken bones
- 1/2 gal. cold water
- 1-2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, diced
- 1 sachet d’epices (2 parsley stems, 1 sprig thyme, 3 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf and 1 clove garlic)
- Rinse bones with cool water and place in large stockpot.
- Add cold water to cover bones by 2 inches. Add salt.
- Bring bones to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 2-3 hours. Skim surface of foam and fat regularly.
- Add onion, carrots and celery (mirepoix) and sachet d’epices.
- Simmer another hour, skimming regularly.
- Strain stock thru sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth.
- May use now for bases of soups or sauces or refrigerate for future use.
**Tip: Substitute herbs in sachet d’epices with ginger and lemongrass for Asian dishes or mushrooms for earthy flavor.
Credit: Camille Van Sant