- 1 lb. beef brisket
- 1 lb. beef bones
- 1 tbsp. veggie oil
- 3 quarts water
- 2 green onion tops
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1-2 tsp salt
- Bouquet garni (2 stems parsley, 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf)
- Brown meat and bones in stockpot with oil in bottom.
- Add water and bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Skim fat and foam regularly. Water needs to cover meat and bones plus 2 inches.
- In a skillet coated with oil, saute’ onion, carrot and celery (mirepoix) on med. high heat till onions golden.
- Add tomato paste to mirepoix and cook another 1-2 min. till rusty brown.
- Add some stock to skillet to blend, then add skillet contents to the stockpot after stock has simmered about 2-3 hours.
- Add Bouquet garni and salt, and simmer 1 hour longer. Skim.
- Strain stock thru sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth.
- May be used now or refrigerated.
Credit: Camille Van Sant