- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 leek, sliced thin discarding ½ of green tops
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup half n half
- Melt butter in med pot over med high heat.
- Add leeks, onions, pear, bay, and thyme. Cover and cook till celery is soft.
- Sprinkle on flour and stir well.
- Stir in broth, cover and simmer on low for 20-30 min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove bay leaves and puree in a blender ½ at a time.
- Return to pot, remove from heat and add half and half and stir.
- Serve immediately. Will hold in refrigerator for 1-2 days only.
- Add a dollop of sour cream and some chopped chives on top if you wish.
Credit: Camille Van Sant