- 1 large head of Romaine lettuce or mix of romaine & other lettuces
- 1 cup bread cubes
- ¼ cup salad oil
- salt, pepper & garlic powder
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg yolk
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- a few anchovies, chopped or anchovy paste (optional)
- ½ cup salad oil
- Rinse, shake, chop lettuce, wrap in towel & put in frig
- In a bowl, mix bread with oil & generous sprinkling of seasonings. Spread on cookie sheet & bake on 350° til brown, stirring once, about 5-10 minutes (can be done a day ahead).
- In blender, whip egg yolk ( if worried about bacteria, cook egg slightly in microwave for 2-3 min., but classic doesn’t cook the yolk), & all ingredients except salad oil.
- With blender on low, slowly add oil thru the top opening in blender lid.
- Blend till smooth. Put in frig.
- When ready to serve, mix lettuce, croutons & cheese in large salad bowl
- Drizzle on dressing a little at a time till lettuce is coated. Not too heavy.
- Plate up serve immediately
Credit: Denise Pratte