- 3 lbs. beef or poultry meat including bones
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 gal. cold water
- 1 sachet d’epices of ( 2 parsley stems, 1 bay leaf, 12 sprigs thyme, 1/2 tsp cracked peppercorns, and 1 garlic clove, smashed)
- Bring meat, water and salt to a simmer in large stockpot.
- Simmer, covered for 2 hours, skimming as necessary.
- Add mirepoix (veggies) and continue simmering 30 minutes more.
- Add sachet d’epices and simmer 30 more minutes.
- Lift meat and veggies out of broth and strain and skim fat from broth.
- May be finished now with garnish of meat, pasta or veggies.
- May be cooled rapidly and stored for later use. Make sure you return to a simmer when reheated.
- May also be used for light sauces or soups.
Credit: Camille Van Sant