- 1 Acorn squash
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. minced onion
- 3 tbsp. fine chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 5 pecans, chopped fine
- ½ apple, chopped small
- ¼ cup veggie broth
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 piece bread, toasted
- 1 egg
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar
- Salt & pepper
- Puncture squash with knife a couple of times in the top. Bake whole in 350 deg. in casserole dish for 25 min. till soft when punctured with a knife.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet & sauté on med heat, the onions & mushrooms for 5 min.
- Deglaze the pan with cider.
- Add pecans, apple and broth & simmer to reduce till almost dry.
- Remove from heat, mix in bread, crumbled into small pieces, egg and cheese.
- Remove squash from oven & cool enough to cut the stem off and cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and fibrous material & discard.
- Scrape out flesh almost to the skin and mix with stuffing mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff each half of squash with stuffing mix. Drizzle on a little oil or more cheese if you like.
- Bake 350 deg. for 30 min. in baking dish filled with a little water in the bottom, but not enough to get into the stuffed squash.
Credit: Camille VanSant