- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- ground pepper to taste
- peanut or veggie oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ large onion, diced
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Heat 1 inch oil in skillet to med high.
- Add onion, honey and egg to potato mixture and stir to combine well as moisture will come out of the potatoes to help to mix bind.
- Using your hands, shape meatball size amounts of mixture into flat discs.
- Gently lay a single layer of cakes into the oil. There should be an audible sizzle when you do this but not voracious. Do not overcrowd or oil will cool.
- Fry till brown on one side, about 4 min., then flip gently to brown other side for 4 min. You need to cook the pancake long enough to cook the grated potato, so don’t let the heat get too hot or it will brown too quickly.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Serve with honey butter and cinnamon applesauce as dipping sauces.
Serves: About 10 cakes
Credit: Camille Van Sant