- 1 large cabbage
- 28 oz. tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped small 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 8 gingersnaps
- 8oz. tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. pepper
- juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Boil cabbage-peeling off leaves as they soften.
- Mix all ingredients except sauce ingredients.
- Stuff & roll cabbage, tucking in the sides first.
- Place in single layer in large baking dish, pour sauce over rolls.
- Top with crumbled ginger snaps.
- Bake 1.5 hrs., covered except for last ½ hour.
**Tip – You can make a vegetarian version by substituting another ½ cup rice instead of the meat, plus 12 oz. of mushrooms chopped & sautéed in butter first.
Credit: Mom Helen Keller