- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped sage
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 13-15 lbs. turkey
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Mix butter and herbs in small bowl.
- Rinse turkey & dry. Place in large roasting pan.
- With you hands, starting at the neck, pull back the skin & push your other hand under the skin, lifting the skin from the meat around the breasts as far as you can get. Be careful not to break the skin.
- Using half of the herb butter and your hand, press butter under the skin and rub all around onto the meat.
- Rub rest of butter on outside of bird, squishing the butter under the skin to spread evenly.
- Stuff cavity and neck with stuffing; find our recipe, Apple-Sage Stuffing, in our Sides section.
- Roast in oven at 325 deg. till Temperature in thigh is 185 deg. and stuffing is 165 deg., about 4.5 – 5.5 hours.
- To baste pour a little broth over the bird each time.
- To check doneness without a thermometer, leg will be loose or break off and thigh flesh will be soft when pinched.
- Pull out and place on cutting board covered in foil.
- Let rest 20 min. at least.
- Meanwhile, make gravy out of the drippings, a flour slurry and rest of chicken broth, in the roasting pan on the stove.
Low Carb – only 1-2 grams per serving without the stuffing.
Credit: Camille Van Sant