- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. soy
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 c. orange marmalade
- 1/2 c. veggie broth
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb. shrimp, cleaned and dried
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Veggie oil to fry
- 6 c. hot cooked rice
- In skillet, combine sugar and salt.
- Add soy, vinegar, ginger, marmalade, broth and water. Stir.
- Add onions and simmer, uncovered, till onions just softening.
- Add peppers and simmer till peppers and onions al dente.
- Mix cornstarch with a tbsp. of water to make slurry.
- Add slurry slowly to skillet ingredients and stir.
- Cook a couple minutes to thicken. Lower heat to keep warm.
- Heat oil in fryer at 375 deg. or 3/4 inch deep in bottom of fry pan on med high.
- Place flour, salt and cayenne pepper in big zip lock bag.
- Shake to mix. Add shrimp, shake to coat.
- Add shrimp to hot oil to fry, do not overcrowd.
- Cook till golden brown, about 2-3 min.
- Remove and blot on paper towels.
- Plate up hot rice with veggie mix on top and shrimp on top of that.
Credit: Camille Van Sant