- 1 head lettuce
- anything else in the garden that’s growing chopped & thrown in
- 4 strip steaks or tuna steaks
- Aunt Margie’s Vinaigrette (under Condiments & Preserves)
- Blackening Seasoning: 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp each; onion powder, garlic powder red pepper & black pepper
- ½ tsp each dried oregano & thyme
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- Mix blackening seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
- Prep steaks by rubbing with oil & then blackening mix, using more the spicier you want. Let rest to room temp.
- Heat up the grill on High.
- Rinse, shake and chop lettuce. Add other veggies. Put in frig.
- Grill steaks or tuna on med high to high for first side & great grill marks. Then turn down to Med for other side. Only turn once & do not overcook! If grilling both steak & tuna, put steaks on first as tuna takes only a couple minutes both sides & most people like it a little rare in the center. Tuna has a very short window before it’s overcooked!
- Remove from grill, cover & let rest.
- Meanwhile, fill salad bowls with lettuce mix.
- Thinly slice steaks (juice should be clear, not bloody) or tuna and fan out over top of salad.
- Drizzle on dressing and top with croutons or French’s fried onion rings.
- Serve it up.
Serves: Serves 4
Credit: Camille Van Sant