So quintessential Strawberries & Cream.
Semifreddo is a smooth, custard-like frozen treat that doesn’t require a ice cream maker.
- 2 cups strawberries, washed & hulled
- 1 tbsp. orange juice or Cointreau
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cling wrap using 2 layers & leaving extra overhang to wrap the semifreddo.
- Puree strawberries, OJ or Cointreau & 1 tbsp. sugar in a blender & chill.
- Fill bottom of double-boiler with water & bring to a simmer
- In the top pan, beat the eggs with the 1 cup sugar, milk & vanilla.
- Place top pan over simmering water, whisking constantly until mixture thickens & coats back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat & chill in frig about 1 hour.
- When egg mixture is cool, whisk in cream cheese and all but ¼ of puree.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, adding 1 tbsp. sugar.
- With a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into the puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture into lined loaf pan, spreading to level out.
- Fold cling wrap over top to cover, freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Un-mold from the loaf pan by tugging on the cling wrap and inverting pan onto a plate.
- Unwrap and slice just like bread, about 1” thick.
- Add a little sugar to the reserved puree & add a dollup to the semifreddo, although we prefer it plain.
**Don’t have a double-boiler? Just use 2 different size saucepans. Nestle the smaller into the larger. Add enough water to larger pan so small pan floats a little & you have made a double-boiler.
Serves: 8-10 slices
Credit: Camille Van Sant