- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 9 tbsp. butter, cold & diced
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 tbsp. ice water
- Sift flour in a med bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knifes, crisscrossing to cut. (until butter is the size of peas)
- Beat egg and mix with 2 tbsp ice water.
- Add egg to flour, mixing lightly with a fork. Do not over mix.
- Dump mixture onto floured work surface and form into a ball.
- If sticky, mix in some flour as you do.
- Flatten ball into a disc, wrap in clear wrap, and put in frig for 30 min.
- Roll out on floured surface, rotating and flipping frequently till dough is ¼ inch thick. Don’t overwork the dough.
**Tip: Use a rich shortcrust when the pastry is to be a main taste element in the tart or pie.
Serves: 1 10 inch tart pan or 1 double crust pie
Credit: Camille Van Sant