- 2 cups unbleached flour
- a pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp. shortening or lard chilled & diced
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled & diced
- 2-3 tbsp. ice water
- Sift the flour & salt into med bowl
- Cut in fat with a pastry blender or two knives, crisscrossing till the butter is the size of small peas.
- Add the water, 1 tbsp. at a time and mix lightly with a fork.
- Dump dough onto floured work surface.
- Knead lightly then bring together to form a ball.
- Flatten into a disc, wrap in clear wrap & chill 30 min.
- Roll out on floured work surface, turning and flipping frequently to prevent sticking. Add flour if necessary.
- Roll out till ¼ inch thick.
**Tip: Want to make pastry crust like a pro? Check out LEARN for a lesson.
Serves: 1 10 inch tart pan or 1 double crust pie
Credit: Camille Van Sant