- 10 oz. fresh blackberries
- 4 tbsp. & ½ cup sugar or granulated Splenda
- 1 tbsp. orange juice or liqueur
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 2/3 cup half & half
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Stir 4 tbsp. sugar, blackberries & orange juice together.
- Remove ½ berries from bowl & divide into 6 ramekins.
- Whisk together egg yolks & ½ cup sugar.
- In medium saucepan over moderate heat, combine cream & salt.
- Bring to boil, then remove from heat and gradually whisk hot cream into yolks.
- Stir in vanilla. Divide mixture among the ramekins, pouring gently.
- Place dishes into a 9 X 12 baking dish filled with very hot tap water to come up halfway on the ramekins.
- Place in oven for 35 min., when custards are bubbling gently on the outsides and center has softly set. Let cool in baking pan with water.
- Meanwhile, crush rest of berries in small saucepan with liquids.
- Simmer on stove to reduce to syrupy consistency.
- Press berry mix thru fine sieve to make puree without seeds.
- Serve custards with puree drizzled on plates & custards.
** Carb count using OJ & Splenda is 4 gm. per serving if 6 servings are mad.
Credit: Camille Keller