- 20 lbs. meaty tomatoes
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 18 whole cloves garlic
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. fresh marjoram
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 16 pint jars with lids
- Wash & clean jars & lids. Sterilize jars & lids & keep hot in water.
- In another, very large pot, blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 1-2 min. until skins easily peel. ( do Not overcook) Remove & peel.
- Quarter tomatoes & remove seeds. Place back in large pot. ( no water)
- Add rest of ingredients. Stir and bring to simmer, then lower temperature to just below boiling.
- Ladle stewed tomatoes into sterilized jars. (only fill enough jars to fit in canner at one time)
- Add enough liquid to fill jar to within ½ inch of top.
- Slide a clean rubber spatula along the inside of the jar to remove air bubbles.
- Wipe off any drips from top of jar. Put on lids hand tight.
- Process in hot water canner for 35 min.
- Remove from water & cool.
- The lids will pop as they cool; when cool you can tighten the lid.
- Any that do not pop must be refrigerated to use within a few weeks. (Test by pressing the center of the lid, should be depressed- meaning a good vacuum)
- Label & store after cooled.
**Tip: Stewed tomatoes are a great way preserve tomatoes for use in your recipes till next season’s harvest.
Serves: About 16 pints
Credit: Cam Van Sant