Classic Pizza Sauce is not cooked, but we liked this cooked version much better to mellow the flavors:
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, roasted or chopped fine
- ½ small onion, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 10oz canned tomato paste
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano & 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp mild pepper sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- Drain as much liquid from tomatoes as possible using a sieve or colander.
- In saucepan, mix all ingredients & simmer to thicken, about 20 min.
- Cool & use immediately or keep in frig for up to 2 weeks. 4. Spread on your favorite pizza dough or just a couple tablespoons on a tortilla, add cheese, and bake in high heat oven for about 5 min.
Serves: Makes about 2 cups
Credit: Cam Van Sant