- 2 tbsp. butter or fat rendered from a roast
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp. flour
- ¼ cup wine if desired
- 2 cups brown stock (beef)
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Sauté carrots, onions & celery till soft & color deepens.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook till deeply browned.
- Stir in herbs.
- Splash in wine to deglaze.
- Sprinkle on flour over veggies (mirepoix) & stir.
- Slowly add stock and stir until smooth.
- Strain and serve on any beef roast or steak or burgers.
- Or remove thyme sprig & bay leaf and serve chunky or puréed.
**Tip: This is a basic sauce (gravy), many variations can be done adding different herbs or reducing and adding wine to replace the liquid.
Credit: Cam Van Sant