Homemade butter is very easy and so delicious!
- Pour cream into a mixing bowl
- With electric mixer on med speed, mix and mix until cream transforms past whipped cream to fluffy puffs, then to stiff peaks.
- The butterfat will separate from the buttermilk to form soft curds.
- The butter then begins to stiffen and clump together and buttermilk collects in bottom of bowl. Takes about 10 minutes.
- Stop mixing. Pour off as much of the milk as possible. (may be used for other recipes)
- Use a rubber spatula to press butter against sides of bowl to squeeze out as much of buttermilk as possible and pour off.
- Add about ¼ cup ice water to the butter and press out water again. Called washing, keeps butter from spoiling.
- Repeat washing with fresh ice water several times till water runs nearly clear.
- Keep pressing against side of bowl to remove of all liquid.
- Mix in sage and orange zest.
- Place blob onto clear wrap and roll into log.
- Seal and refrigerate.
- Cut off slices to be used on steaks or veggies.
Serves: Makes 1/2 cup
Credit: ‘Organic Gardening’ Magazine