Use these condiments to jazz up all your recipes, try infused vinegars for a flavorful tart splash in any dish. Use the oil instead of added spices & pepper.
Recipe is the same for oil or vinegar.
- 6 hot red chili peppers
- 8 oz. oil, try olive, peanut or veggie
- 1-2 small dark glass bottles with corks
- Optional other herbs to add: Whole garlic cloves Coriander or mustard seed, barely crushed Sprigs of fresh tarragon or thyme
- Heat oil or vinegar on med heat to just below boiling.
- Cut slits in 2 peppers, but leave intact. Seed & chop rest of peppers.
- Place all peppers & any other herb or spice into saucepan. Infuse till cool
- Strain oil or vinegar, saving whole peppers with slits.
- Pour into sterilized bottles.
- Add 2 peppers with slits and fresh sprig of herb used or fresh spice seeds used.
- Cork & set for 2 weeks for flavors to blend before use.
- Oil will keep on shelf for about a month, vinegar will last a year.
Credit: Camille Van Sant