- 2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled & washed
- confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. melted butter, cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup flour
- Dry strawberries and slice in thick slices. Coat with confectioner’s sugar.
- Whisk egg, milk, butter & vanilla in bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp. sugar, salt & baking powder and mix well.
- Add flour & mix to a smooth batter, let set 20 min.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Heat 1 inch of veggie oil in heavy skillet to 375° (drop of batter will sizzle)
- Dip a large spoonful of batter into oil carefully.
- Fry 1 ½ min. on each side till golden, turning only once.
- Remove to layers of paper towels to drain.
- Dust with more confectioner’s sugar and eat within 30 min.
Credit: Cam Van sant