- 6oz. toasted bread cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ lb. crumbled cooked bacon
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ¾ cups milk, divided
- ¾ tsp. mustard
- 6 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup half and half
- 3 cups grated potatoes, skin on
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Place bread cubes in buttered 9” x 12” baking pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, 2 ¼ cups milk, salt and mustard.
- Pour over bacon and cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from frig 30 minutes before baking.
- Sauté’ mushrooms in butter until browned.
- Combine mushrooms and half and half until blended.
- Spread over casserole.
- Top with potatoes, sprinkle with onion powder and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350 deg. For 30 min.
- Uncover, bake for 35 minutes longer till edges and potatoes are browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Credit: Camille Van Sant