- 1 cu. Orange marmalade
- 1/4 cu. Veggie broth or water
- 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. raw sugar
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. jerk or cajon seasoning
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Enough oil for 1 inch in skillet
- Mix first 5 ingredients in small saucepan and simmer on med heat till slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Stir together cornstarch and jerk seasoning in a shallow dish. Mix coconut, breadcrumbs, salt & paprika in another shallow dish.
- Dry shrimp and roll in cornstarch mix, then egg whites, & then dredge in coconut mix, pressing on with your fingers. Do one at a time.
- Heat oil in skillet on med high to sizzling. About 375 deg.
- Fry in small batches in skillet about 2 minutes each side till browned.
- Drain shrimp on paper towels and keep warm till all are cooked.
- Serve with orange sauce to dip.
- Serves: Serves 6-8 as an appetizer or 3-4 as an entrée
Credit: Camille Van Sant