In the Kitchen
Jam is simple to make but you will need an adult to help you.
- 2 pints of blackberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 envelope fruit pectin
- 10 4-6 oz. jelly jars
Cooking Equipment needed:
- Large Dutch oven (non-reactive)
- Cup with pouring spout
- Dish Towel
- Hot Mitts
- Wash jars and lids in soapy water and rinse well.
- Have an adult sterilize the jars in the Dutch oven filled with water.
- Remove with tongs to towel upright. Empty Dutch oven.
- Rinse berries well with water and drain well.
- Combine berries and sugar in Dutch oven. Mash berries with a potato masher.
- Cook on stove on medium heat, uncovered till starts to thicken.
- Sprinkle fruit pectin on top of berries & mix well. Cook till thickens.
- Ladle jam into cup with pour spout.
- Pour jam into jars, filling to within 1/2 inch from the top.
- Wipe off drips on the rim with damp paper towel.
- Put on lids and keep refrigerated for up to 1 year.
It tastes great on buttered toast or over ice cream or on pancakes!!