Create a Bird (Chipmunk) Feeder
Hey kid’s, it’s easy to make a birdfeeder or chipmunk feeder out of a pinecone and a plastic plate or some wood B-B-Q skewers. The birds and chipmunks will surely appreciate a special treat!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large pinecone
- 1 8-10 inch plastic plate or
- 2 wood B-B-Q skewers
- Some wire
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½-1 cup bird seed
Here’s what to do:
- If using B-B-Q skewers, place them on either side of pinecone close to the bottom. Nestle them in between the layers and wrap some wire around the skewers at both ends to hold skewers together and onto pinecone.
- If using a plastic plate, have Mom or Dad drill 4 holes like the corners of a square near the center of the plate about 2 inches apart. Wrap 2 wires about 10 inches long around the bottom of the pinecone like you would use a twist tie to leave 2 loose ends for each wire. Then feed the 4 loose ends thru the holes in the plate and twist again under the plate to secure the pinecone to the plate.
- Wrap another piece of wire around top of pinecone to use as a hanger.
- Melt peanut butter and shortening.
- Pour melted peanut butter over pinecone only while holding over a bowl or plate to catch drippings.
- While peanut butter still soft but cooler, press birdseed into the peanut butter. If you have a plate attached to your pinecone, you may add more seed to the plate, after you hang it up.
Hang outside in front of a window so you can enjoy your feathered (or furry) friends! They will be so pleased.